How To Repair Torn Waterproofs, PVC Rain Gear and Other Damaged Garments
When you’re out on the job you want the clothing you’re wearing, be it waterproof over trousers, jackets or bib & brace to be able to withstand the daily wear and tear. Now, with a Stormline product, the chances of a tear are slim because we work hard to ensure each item of clothing is tested so it can withstand pretty much everything. However, life on the farm, at sea or in aquaculture is unpredictable and in case something does happen you need to make some clothing repairs quickly.
Have no fear, we have created a handy, easy to follow guide that will ensure you a swift and safe repair!
What You Will Need For Clothing Repairs
To repair outdoor clothing to the highest quality you’re going to need a few things to ensure your damaged apparel is fixed properly. Don’t worry, you don’t need anything too technical or expensive for product care of this nature, all the stuff you need to do this properly can be sourced pretty quickly. To make the repair you’ll need:
- A wet sponge or cloth
- Soapy water or alcohol solution
- PVC repair glue
- PVC repair patches
- Pair of Scissors or cutting knife
Below are the steps for repairing your PVC rain gear and waterproof clothing:
- To start the process be sure to clean the area that is damaged thoroughly with soapy water or an alcohol solution. This will ensure that your PVC rain gear or waterproof clothing is as near to sterile as possible. If you don’t do this step there is a chance that bacteria can live in the damaged area and cause the clothing to smell or decay over time.
- Take a pair of scissors and cut the PVC patch so that it covers the area. We think it’s a good idea to cut the patch so that is around an inch bigger than the damaged area so that you can cover it completely.
- Apply the PVC glue to the area to be patched. Ensure a thorough amount of glue is applied to ensure it sticks properly.
- Apply the PVC patch to the area ensuring everything lines up properly.
- Seal tightly around the patch with PVC glue, give it a good squeeze to ensure the glue has stuck to the damaged apparel.
- Leave the PVC glue to dry overnight to allow it to set completely. Failure to do this may result in the repair patches slipping or moving out of place.
- The next day, be sure to check for any holes in the PVC patch on your piece of outdoor clothing. Feel free to add more glue if it needs it.
Maintenance And Cleaning Tips
If cared for properly your Stormline product should last you years. Our skilled team here at Stormline design every piece of clothing with you in mind meaning your products should only require the smallest amount of maintenance to ensure they last you.
On the job, waterproof and PVC clothing will build up dirt and residue over time which can affect its efficiency and breathability. However, if you wash your products too much that can also affect their effectiveness. We advise that leaving waterproof clothing muddy is better than constantly cleaning it.
In addition, avoid putting your products in the washing machine. Simply brush off any dirt or residue then close all the zips, pockets and flaps and put the jackets in a bucket of cool water without any detergent. Then, hang it up and allow the air to dry it.
In terms of product maintenance, we advise that you always follow the wash care label. In addition, always try and keep your product out of direct sunlight for an extended period as this can damage the layers and reduce their effectiveness. Avoid putting sharp objects in the pockets or flaps as this can easily cause rips and tears too.
Looking For The Highest Quality Marine Foul, Wet Weather Or Agriculture Gear? Get In Touch With Stormline Today
Since 1966, the team here at Stormline have been creating some of the best outdoor clothing suitable for a range of industries, where practically, functionality and safety are key. We work alongside people in the marine and agriculture industry to develop products that will allow them to focus on the job at hand. So, if you want new high-performance clothing like bib & braces, foul weather jackets, fishing oilskins or any other type of wet weather or farming gear then be sure to view our range of products or get in touch today.